Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Cassette Review: Unsung "Young Man" (Already Dead Tapes and Records)


There once was a show on Netflix called "Stranger Things".   It was a hit with the kids and everyone was talking about it, making memes about it.    I watched it and I liked it but you know what show came out at around the same time that I liked better?  A little show called "The Get Down".   Now, "The Get Down" actually stars a musician from Clipping, but it just has this feel to it that I can apprecate as a fan of music.   And I feel like that show didn't get as much recognition as it fell in the shadow of another show.

Somewhere between that world and something modern such as Sage Francis (who will somehow always remain revelant) is where you'll find the verses and beats of Unsung.   And the more I think about hip hop in terms of not only the artists being released by Already Dead but also in general on cassette, it really makes me think what a vast universe this really is.

Think about it.   If someone were to play me a popular hip hop song right now and ask me if it was Jay Z or Kanye West or someone else who is popular right now I might not be able to identify it.   People will say "Oh yeah, so and so is hot right now" and I'll maybe- MAYBE- recognize the name but probobably not a single song.   I listen to those weird Odd Future kids though.   Chance the Rapper.   Earl Sweatshirt.   Strange Famous.

Now underneath that world is this world of hip hop which I listen to on cassette.   But I also have a co-worker who listens to underground hip hop and I have no idea where he gets it from.  There truly are a lot of people out there with a beat and a verse.   Everybody has a story to tell.   And I think it's funny my co-worker has the mindset of "You don't know who Gucci Mane is, how are you going to know this even more underground rapper?" and yet now I'm thinking "But do you even know Unsung?"


No comments:

Post a Comment